Tips for Getting Settled in Your New Home
Moving to a new home can evoke a range of emotions in us – everything from fear to stress and excitement. It’s true that there is a lot to do once you get there. By having a plan in place for getting settled before you even step out the door, you can stem any anxiety you might feel. Here are five tips for settling into your new home after you arrive:
- CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS. You can either visit your local post office or fill out a change of address order online. This process will inform the post office to forward your mail to your new home address. In addition, you’ll want to change your address with any financial institutions or banks through whom you have an account or credit card. Finally, be sure to visit your local DMV for an updated driver’s license. If you move to a new state altogether, you may be required to take another driving test before you’ll be issued a new license.
- CHANGE THE LOCKS. Your motto when moving should be “safety first”, and this applies to ensuring your home is secure. Think about it. Previous owners and potential realtors or others were able to access your home with their keys. One of the first orders of business should be to call a locksmith or buy new locks and install them yourself.
- UNPACK. Upon arrival at your new home, you’re bound to feel exhausted. That could tempt you to “take a few days off” before starting to unpack. Don’t do this! It’s far too easy for a few days to turn into weeks, and weeks into months. Even if you can’t do much at first, tackle a room at a time. You’ll be grateful when you fold up the last empty box – and it probably won’t be until then that you’ll truly feel settled into your new home. If you need assistance unpacking, our movers at Berger are more than willing to help!
- EXPLORE THE NEIGHBORHOOD. The first week you’re there, get out and about. Find out where your nearest grocery stores, retailers, parks and restaurants are located. Drive in every direction to see what you can find. Go off the beaten path – sometimes you can find the best treasures there.
- MEET THE NEIGHBORS RIGHT AWAY. It’s easy to let time get away from you, but be purposeful about introducing yourself to your new neighbors. Even if you don’t become the best of friends, being friendly with your neighbors can lead to a much more pleasant living situation.
Enjoy getting settled into your new home. It takes a little planning and effort, but it’s definitely worth it in the end!
Click here to schedule your free in-home estimate!