Senior Moving Checklist
Whether you are a senior who is moving, or you have an elderly loved one you need to help move, the process can be lengthy and challenging. In order to help you stay organized and make the process as efficient as possible, we have provided you with a senior moving checklist below. With this checklist, you can schedule and perform key tasks efficiently for a successful move.
8 Weeks Before Moving
- Visit your new home – determine what needs to be done in the home to make it livable right away. For instance, do you need to purchase furniture? Are certain repairs crucial before you can move in?
- Determine the logistics of your move – Research and contact long-distance movers
- Start decluttering your old home – discard, donate, or sell the items you no longer need.
- Get moving quotes – if you do not have a preferred mover, obtain quotes from a few moving companies, comparing their services and capabilities along with price.
4 Weeks Before Moving
- Contact your family doctor’s office – inform them of your move and request transcripts of the documents you need
- Schedule time off from work – do this for moving day and any other days you need off before or after moving day
- Produce an inventory list of your belongings – this will help you locate your items during the moving process
- Begin packing your items – either DIY packing or with help from others
One Week Before Moving
Moving day is very close. Now is the time to address the following tasks.
- Have utility companies read your meters this week. Schedule this previously as needed.
- Donate to charity or sell any excess items – if you are unable to do either of those for some reason, discard them.
- Pick up your medical records.
- Complete the packing process.
- Clean your old home and your new home.
- Start your day early.
- Review your items – make sure they are already to be transported.
- Greet the moving professionals when they arrive.
- Check the moving contract paperwork.
- Check to make sure you have left nothing behind at your old residence.
Upon Arrival and Delivery
- Show the movers where to put your items in your new home.
- Pay the movers if you have not already done so.
This senior moving checklist will help ensure an efficient and successful move for you or your loved one.